This week’s obsessions are all about exercise more importantly, which exercises burn the most calories. Most of my recommendations require little to no equipment and can be performed at home.
We finally made it out of 2020 and with this new year arriving, we have a sense of hope (hooray vaccine) and renewal. If you, like many others happened to pack on a few pandemic pounds, I’m here to help you remove them.
A 160-pound person will burn 291 calories with 30 minutes of jumping rope. I know 30 min. seems like a long time to jump rope but they don’t all have to be done at once. Split it up throughout the day to increase your stamina and cardiovascular activity levels.
Intense cycling meaning 12-14 mph burns 291 calories in 30 min. for a 160 lb person. Whether you choose indoor or outdoor cycling, this exercise craze is here to stay and with good reason.
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
Uses a combination of intense aerobic exercise and low-intensity exercise. This workout can blast 305 calories in a 160 lb person in 30 min. Here are a few examples to try:
- Sprint as fast as you can for 30-60 seconds every 3 minutes while jogging.
- Add weight training to exercise, take a 1-minute break from your stationary bike to squat or lift weights.
- Swim the length of the pool as fast as you can and then swim back at a regular pace. Repeat 10-15 times.
Building more muscle helps turn your body into a lean mean “fat fighting” machine. Muscle requires more energy than fat, therefore burns more calories, even when you are at rest. Add these muscles building exercises to your routine and watch your waistline whittle. All done by using your own body weight.
•Push-ups•Squats•Step up onto a chair•Wall Sit•Tricep Dips
Here are a few points to remember:
- The more intense an activity, the more calories it burns.
- Duration also counts, the longer you exercise the more calories you burn.
- Build…adding more muscle-building exercises will increase resting energy expenditure and reduce overall body fat.
We hope you are enjoying the beginning of 2021. Share Stephanie’s exercise obsessions by clicking one of the social buttons below or by copying the link.
Did you become a K&T subscriber yet and if not, you can join below? You are always welcome. As a subscriber, you will know about our Weekly Obsessions in our newsletter. Plus a subscriber, gets to guide our feature content.